Friday, April 4, 2008

education = career ?


My first official blog... yay!
I decided today the I would talk about the joys of being the graduate of an art institute. It seems funny to me that as you grow up adults are always telling you to reach for you dreams, go to college, find what your passionate and make it a career. These phrases make for super advice... unless your dreams are creative. When you grew up and said I want to be a dancer... or actor... (or forbid) artist the faith in your choice making is lost. Seeds of doubt are planted very soon on with the comments like "are you sure" "well what can you do?" "you'll never make money at that" and my personal favorite "so when are you going to get a REAL job?"

I would just like to say for the record that even with all of this thrown at me as well as the loss of my art boutique and my current part time (but still creative) employment that I have been as stubborn as ever not to let people take me down. Every creative person need to say this mantra (and mean it) when they are feeling down. I AM NOT AFRAID TO CREATE! If you can't quite get over the hump I recommend you read a book or two. Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland and How to Survive and Prosper As An Artist by Caroll Michels have helped me through some of my more doubtful moments.
I must be going now but feel free to visit my works at

www.ExcessoriesKC.com

Beautiful Accesories In Excess!

or on Etsy at

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5717869

Thanks
Katie

No comments: