Monday, September 3, 2012

May 3rd 2011 The Begining of my Art journey

    I started my journey May 3rd 2011, after becoming inspired by a friends similar interest in a year long project. In the past I had participated in the Artist trading card meetings and swaps where I fell in love with the simplicity of the 3 1/2 in x 2 1/2in size. So I set out, spur of the moment, on a Tuesday night and made the first of my 366 cards (this was a leap year). It seemed like a mountainous task at the time. During my year I've learned a few things about myself and have lived a lot of life. I started this project 4 years after the failure of my first attempt of opening my own artist boutique. I will always be an artist and though hurt by the loss, knew that I couldn't deny my artist drive. Not all cards are great and some are down right bad but I didnt edit or throw them out because they each taught me something about my process or showed me a little of myself and where I was at the time.
     When I started I was working downtown in Kansas City as a shoe shine. Over the year and during a recession I had two other jobs as well as a major breakup from my eight year relationship and many financial hardships along the way. It would have been excruciatingly easy to give up and let my cards lapse into oblivion but I didn't. During my darkest times having the simple task set before me kept me sane and I was so grateful for the distraction.
    I do have my bachelors degree in fine arts and my original thought was to have an art show to display what a year of my life looks like. Maybe someday this blog will afford me my wish. I hope you enjoy reading and viewing my year as much as I loved making it.

May 3rd 2011
My first card was thrown together excitedly, standing up, or hovering over my craft table scrounging through all my scraps and bits. I was so inspired I couldn't work quickly enough. I incorporated paper and ribbon, hand stitching, stamping, and great plastic. I am and always will be in love with this card.  
                 

No comments: